Importing your car to Spain

relocation process

As a resident in Spain importing your car from another E.U. member state is not a problem.

There are a couple of steps that you need to take.

  1. First of all the car needs to be exported from the originating country.
  2. You will need to be able to proof your residency with a NIE.
  3. It is best to obtain temporary number plates first. These have a validity period of 60 days.
  4. In this grace period the car should be tested by an ITV centre. The centre will issue a certificate stating that the vehicle complies with Spanish safety standards.
  5. The Impuesto de matriculación, road tax must be paid prior to obtaining the import license.
  6. Import duties which are 6% on value of the car (as per customs) and IVA (VAT) at a rate 0f 21% for new vehicles should be paid at the tax office.
  7. With the above documents and insurance papers permanent licence plates can be obtained.

In 2018 this will cost approximately:

  • IVA (VAT) on a new car is 21% over the invoice value (model 309 Hacienda).
  • Permanent license plates  € 97,80 (Trafico).
  • Ficha Reducida ± € 96,74 or homologation certificate (certificado de conformidad)
  • The Impuestos de circulación & de matriculación (license) are depending mainly on the level of CO2 emision.
  • Printing the plates will cost approximately € 20,- each time, i.e. temporary and permanent plates.
  • ITV test approximately € 150,-

Necessary documents:

  • Passport;
  • Registration municipality;
  • Driving license;
  • Car papers and export license;
  • Insurance papers;
  • NIE number;
  • Certificate ITV;
  • Payment of road tax.


Import duties

Important: you can avoid the import duties and the license fees when the car is more than 6 months in your possession, you were resident for at least a year in the previous place and you import the car within 60 days after registering with the town hall (Model 06 Hacienda).

For those you will need the following documents to go with the model 06.

  • If translated with apostille the following documents are admissible proof residency outside Spain for at least 12 consecutive months before entering Spain are:
    • A ‘baja consular’;
    • Residence certificate or work permit;
    • Labour contract or proof of business activities
    • Certificate of fiscal residency.
  • Proof of ownership of the car for at least 6 months prior to moving to Spain.
  • Residency card/empadron (town hall enrolment).

Please note that if you apply for these exceptions you will not be able to sell the car within a year of the import date.

For assistance or more information contact us by:

Comments are closed.