Residency “Certificado de registro ciudadano de la unión”


If you want to become a resident in Spain or stay in Spain for longer than 3 months, you must apply for a Certification of the registro ciudadano de la unión. You will have to show income data in order to prove whether you can provide for your own maintenance. You must also prove that you are insured for medical expenses. The application form must be submitted together with copies of the documents mentioned before. Below you can specifically see, which documentation you should take with you.

The NIE number is not the same as a TIE. EU citizens only need the residence card that includes the NIE number and can use their passport as identification, while non-EU citizens need a TIE (Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero) (NIE and passport photo) and form of identification.

Which documentation do I have to bring?

Residence can be requested in person at the Department of Foreigners Affairs at the Police Station (Policia National) with consultation of the following documents (originals and copy):

Standard documentation:

  • A passport or ID card
  • The complete completed EX-18 application form
  • The 790-12 form (fees); these three forms must be paid in advance at a bank. The bank will return you two forms with stamp, as proof of payment to you. The costs is € 12.00

Evidence of health care:

  • If you are retired or receive a disability benefit, you must submit a copy of the S1 or 121 form.
  • If you are self-employed (“autonomo”) in Spain, you must show proof of registration as a self-employed person at the “hacienda” and the “Seguridad Social” and possibly your work history with the form “vida laboral”. However, most offices do not require documentation, as they can check your status in the computer systems.
  • If you are employed in Spain, you must show proof of registration with the “Seguridad Social” in some offices.
  • If you are studying in Spain, you must present a European sanitation card that is valid for the period that you want to be a resident.
  • If you do not meet the above, but your partner does, you must present a legalized marriage certificate with apostille. In the case of a 121 form, you must also be mentioned as a partner on the form.
  • If you do not meet the above requirements, you must take out private health insurance (without deductible) for you and all family members. This insurance must be equal to the service of public care (first assistance, specialization and first aid).

Proof of income:

  • A bank certificate which is only valid if it is a certificate of ‘ saldo medio’ (average balance) over the last 6 months, accompanied by a statement showing income being received into the account. They may also ask for justification of the income or source of income, if it isn’t clearly stated in the statement. Documentation has to be translated, if it’s not in Spanish.
  • If you receive a pension, a certified and translated overview with apostille of your pension income.
  • If you have your own home in Spain. A current “note simple” showing that there are no debts. You can request this form from the “registro de propiedades”. This supports the proof of financial means if the income on its own isn’t sufficient. The ‘nota simple’ cannot be used on its own. There must be some form of cash or income along side it.
  • If you are self-employed “autonomy” in Spain, you should in most cases not show proof of income.
  • If you do not have an income, but your partner does, you must submit an official and translated marriage certificate (with apostille). This income must be sufficient for both.


  • Copy of birth certificates. If both parents do not become residents, you must be able to show an official statement showing that the children are allowed to live with one of the parents. This must of course be translated.

How do I make an appointment?

You can not go to the national police without an appointment. An appointment must be made in advance via the internet. Please note that some offices have a waiting time of up to a few months. Only for an appointment in Ronda you still have to queue in the morning. Through this link you can make an appointment at the other offices:

Need help? Call + 34 637 463 005 or write to We can help you with completing the forms and accompany you to the appointment.

Where are the Police Stations located?

The addresses of the police stations in the provinces of Granada and Malaga are listed below in alphabetical order of place name. For other provinces you can look here.

Province of Granada

Subdelegación del Gobierno Oficina de Extranjería: Calle San Agapito 2, Granada, Telefoon: 958 90 93 14

Polica National Motril

Province of Malaga


Adres: C/ Ciudad de Oaxaca S/N – 29200, Antequera (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 706 360


Adres: C/ Valle Inclan S/N – 29.680, Estepona (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 798 530

Gestion Extranjeria FUENGIROLA

Adres: Avda. Condes de San Isidro Nº 98 – 29640, Fuengirola (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 19 83 58 / 60


Comisaria Provincial Policia Nacional Adres:  Plaza Manuel Azaña, Nº3 – 29006, Málaga, Telefoon: 952 046 200

Extranjeria: Calle Mauricio Moro Pareto, 13, 29006 Málaga, Telefoon: 952 98 04 60


Adres: Avda Duque de Lerma, Edeficio España, Local 3,  29600, Marbella (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 86 72 41


Adres: Avda. de Málaga Nº 9 – 29400, Ronda (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 161 227


Adres: C/ Skal Nº 12 – 29620, Torremolinos (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 378 450 / 952 378 451


Adres: Avda. de Andalucía Nº 55 A – 29740, Torre del Mar (Málaga), Telefoon: 952 965 070 / 952 965 089

Comments are closed.