Opening a bank account in Spain

bank account

If you are planning to stay for an extended period in Spain or perhaps get involved in doing business you will probably need to open a bank account.

For international clients there are two types of accounts:

  1. Para residentes: for people actually living in Spain (with residence permit)
  2. Cuenta para no residentes for people with an interest in Spain, like a second home.

Residents have a different tax obligation than non residents.

 The tax authorities (hacienda) will consider you as a resident if you fulfill the following criteria:

  • Staying more than 183 days a year in Spain;
  • Working or running a company in Spain;
  • Your spouse or small children are living in Spain.


To open a bank account you will need at least the following documents:

  • Passport;
  • NIE (resident);
  • Certificado de no residencia (non residents).

Certain banks will ask for your employee contract, your rental agreement, registration with the town hall (“patronal”) and other guarantees.

Please contact us if you would like us to facilitate the opening of a bank account for you.

Phone: +34 637 463 005


Further reading

Comments are closed.