‘Baja Consular’ no longer necessary for car import

As of 18th November 2013, British consulates in Spain no longer issue the Consular Letter: Transfer of Address for importation of vehicles/household goods/change of registration plates (also known as the Baja Consular).

From the British Consulate

‘The Agencia Tributaria that the following documents could be accepted as proof of residence, in place of the consular letter:

  • Work contract or proof of self-employment
  • If you are coming from outside the UK, a residence permit or work permit for the country you have been residing in.

If you do not have either of these documents, the Agencia Tributaria has said that they could accept any document that could serve as legally admissible proof.

We understand that the final decision on the acceptability of any document lies with the tax authorities, who will assess each case individually. Any document not in Spanish must be translated and legalised in the UK or country of origin.

For further information, please contact the Agencia Estatal de Administración Tributaria/AEAT (the State Tax Administration Agency).’

This information in Spanish

If the tax authorities continue to ask you for a letter from the consulate, you can print out this pdf file quoting the relevant information from their website, which states that other documents may be submitted in place of the Baja Consular.

Comments are closed.